Monday, November 15, 2010

Up Close & Personal with Manisha Prakash, Brand Manager of Shrivan-Narresh



Yesterday I was fortunate enough to interview the Brand Manager for contemporary clothing brand Shrivan-Narresh. Off the bat I can tell that Manish embodies the brands aesthetic, for she is charming, sharp and fiercely intelligent. Before I even started our interview it seemed like I had known her for ages, her warmth and approachability made me extremely comfortable and I’d like to thank her for that. 






Q1. So tell me a little about you and your relationship with fashion?
A1. About me, I grew up in Delhi and went to a high school called Mirambika, where I was a footballer and a swimmer. I didn’t really have the urge to study but my parents wanted to me to go to college so I chose Milan. It seemed really far which was really appealing to me at the time. I spoke French but not a word of Italian so I thought it would be a great way to learn the language. When it came to fashion, I’m not saying I was unfashionable but I had a keen interest for style. I love over-dressing. Even when I was the littlest girl I would love dressing up for the smallest occasions and bearing the brunt of my family having a good laugh over it. Even now if I go jogging I have perfectly matching tops and shorts. Before I moved to Italy I had never seen fashion as up close as I had ever before. 

Q2. How did Shrivan-Narresh happen for you?
A2. So I met the boys when I was in Milan and it was like instant love. They needed a place to crash for a few nights and one of our common friends referred them to me. At this point they were just starting out fresh and I loved their work and ideas. We just clicked you know. Anyway, they went back to India to work and I was left alone in Milan with this hollow feeling. I just missed them too much. I went back and we became good friends. One day, I was sitting in Shrivan and Narresh’s studio feeling completely dejected and unemployed whining to Narresh when he turned around and promptly replied, “Why are you so tensed, just join us?” I was shocked and told him “As what?” and he said, “Just come to work and we’ll find work for you.” And that was it. It’s been chaotic harmony even since.






Q3. Who are your favourite fashion icons/designers?

A3. Grace Coddington of Vogue USA. I feel she can really differentiate between Beauty and Fashion. 

Helmut Newton is one of my favourite photographers. He did a lot of work for Harper’s Bazaar.  I feel he was way ahead of his time. 

Richard Avedon is another one of my favourite photographers. He has worked for both Bazaar and Vogue extensively. There was also a movie based on his life starring Audrey Hepburn called Funny Face which is a must watch. 

Julie Andrews: She is effortlessly stylish and so age appropriate. I love her poise. 

Patrizio Bertelli. He is such a visionary; he truly is the business force that drives Prada. He has a brilliant mind. Even though Miuccia Prada’s reign began in the late 1970’s he has managed to maintain a standard as an old luxury brand.




 

Q4. If you weren’t here, where would you be?
A4. Someplace quiet! Somewhere where I have a big kitchen. And I would contribute to intelligence somehow. 

Q5. Okay lastly, what are this season’s top 5 must-haves. From Manisha for our readers:
A5. Okay : 1) A super-duper body-con dress. They look amazing with jackets, knits amazing with tights

  2) Big bags! Natural leather bags are fab for this season.

3) Something Pure: Cashmere or Pashmina. It could be a scarf or gloves even.

4) Mood Lighting. I think this season is going to be about indoor cosyness instead of rooftop bonfires. 

5)  Lastly, A recipe for your favourite soup. Mine is a polish delicacy called Barsz. 


No comments:

Post a Comment